Active Directory/Documentation/Personal Computers on WSUS
Jump to navigation Jump to search
How to Manually Configure Your Personal Computer
NOTE: You must have local administrative rights on the computer.
- Download wsus.reg to your hard disk.
- Double click on wsus.reg.
- When prompted if you are sure you want to add the information to the registry, click Yes. You should see a confirmation that the information was successfully entered into the registry.
- Click OK.
WSUS Settings for Personal Computers
WSUS Clients on Personal Computers are configured with the following settings:
- Turn on Automatic Updates.
- Point to WolfTech's WSUS server: http://msupdates.wolftech.ad.ncsu.edu
- Set the appropriate client-side target group - Personal.
- Auto-download and install patches approved on the WSUS server at the scheduled install time.
- Set the scheduled install time to be 2:00 PM every day.
- Reschedule patch installation to the next boot time if the regular scheduled time is missed.
- Specify a 15 minute delay that Automatic Updates will wait, following system start-up, before proceeding with a scheduled installation that was missed previously. This is to ensure that the machine is fully operational before patch installation will occur.
- Allow non-admins to install patches and to delay rebooting after patch installation.
- Set the option to not restart the computer automatically during a scheduled installation if a user is logged in to the computer. Instead, Automatic Updates will notify the user to restart the computer to complete the installation.
- Enable the immediate installation of minor patches that do not require a reboot.
- Set new update detection frequency to every 8 hours.