WolfTech's WSUS server provides a convenient way to automatically keep your computer up-to-date with the latest software updates from Microsoft. The prompt installation of security updates is critical to the security of the NC State University Network.
- University-Owned Computers - All University-owned computers are automatically configured to use WSUS to install updates.
- Personal Machines - All personal machines used on the NC State University Network are required to be manually configured to use WSUS. See #How_to_Manually_Configure_Your_Personal_Computer.
- Home Machines - NCSU faculty and staff are encouraged to manually configure their home computers to use WSUS. See #How_to_Manually_Configure_Your_Personal_Computer.
WSUS supports the following client operating systems:
- Windows 2000 SP3 or later
- Windows XP, Vista
- Windows Server 2003, 2008
Earlier operating systems, such as Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows ME are not supported. These operating systems are no longer supported by Microsoft and should be upgraded immediately. Non-Windows operating systems are not supported.
Patches / Approval
Classifications of patches and their configuration / deployment on the WolfTech WSUS server.
Automatically Approved Update Classifications
The WolfTech WSUS server has been configured to automatically download and approve for installation the following update classifications:
- Definition Updates
Manually Approved Update Classifications
The following classification of updates are downloaded to the WolfTech WSUS server but are not approved for installation without minimal testing by IT support staff. Unless critical circumstances arise, these patches will not be approved until after each month's "Patch Tuesday" and will be accompanied by an email to the OU Admins:
- Service Packs
- Feature Packs
- Critical Updates
- Security Updates
- Update Rollups
Unapproved Update Classifications
Updates that are classified as 'Drivers' are not downloaded to the WolfTech WSUS server.
For more info about WSUS, see:
- [[../Update_Policy| WSUS Update Policy]]