Add Wolfcopy to RHEL
All network printers in the ECE Department must be accessed through our central print server, ECE-PRINT-01.
The following guide explains how to add an ECE department Wolfcopy printer to a RHEL installed machine using the LPD protocol. Please note the following:
- Color printouts cost extra. As such, we ask that you do not print in color unless it is required.
- You must have sudo access on the machine in order to perform these steps.
- This guide does not apply to any Wolfcopy printer that uses access codes for printing. Contact us for further assistance with that setup.
If you have any problems adding a printer, printing, or have questions not answered by this page, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 1 - Download the Driver
In order to be able to adjust color vs B&W printing and to get access to other functions, you need to use a model-specific driver when adding the printer. Download the appropriate file below and save it to your NCSU home space or to /local/home on your machine.
- For Konica-Minolta bizhub C364e models, download this file.
- (Other models will be added as necessary.)
Step 2 - Starting the Printer Config
Open a Terminal window. Then run the following command:
Enter your NCSU password at the prompt and the Printer Configuration will open as shown in Figure 1. From there, click on the New button to start the wizard.
If you see the prompt in the picture below regarding adjusting the firewall, click "Do It Later". (Letting it adjust the firewall has caused network problems for other machines.) You will likely receive this prompt each time you add a printer, so please be sure to click "Do It Later" each time.
Step 3 - Configure the LPD connection
Choose the "Network Printer > LPD/LPR Host or Printer" option. This will bring up additional options on the right.
- In the "Host" blank, enter the department print server as "ece-print-01.ece.ncsu.edu"
- In the "Queue" blank, enter the name of the printer you wish to add. The name of the printer should be labeled on the control panel of the unit.
- Currently the ECE department has printers available in the following locations:
- 426 MRC, Konica-Minolta bizhub C364e. Color and B&W, 2/3 hole punch and stapling.
See Figure 3 above. As you can see we have filled in the necessary information to add a printer. Once you have entered in the necessary information, click Forward to proceed.
Step 4 - Choosing a driver
Here you need to select the model-specific PPD file that you downloaded in Step 1.
To use the generic driver, choose "Generic" under "Makes" and click Forward. This will bring you to the page shown in Figure 5 below.
From here, choose "PCL 6/PCL XL Printer" under "Models", and let it use the recommended driver under "Drivers". Then click Forward.
Step 5 - Finishing the config and other options
Once you've chosen a driver, the last page gives a very brief summary and allows you to set the printers Name which should be on the printer, Description and Location. The "Description" and "Location" fields are optional. Click Apply to finish the wizard and add the printer.
You should now be back at the Printer Configuration as shown in Figure 7.
You can see that HIPPOGRIFF now appears in our list of local printers. You can print a test page, edit the optional fields, or change the driver that is being used for the printer by right clicking on it in this window. If the printer you have added is a color printer, the "Printer Options" field has some additional options you may wish to check.
You can now close the Printer Configuration and use the printer you've added in applications and from the Terminal.