Difference between revisions of "Apple iPad"
|Line 14:||Line 14:|
==Email / Calendar==
==Email / Calendar==
Revision as of 17:06, 21 November 2011
As we seem to have a number of folks purchasing personal iPads and hoping to use them here at NC State, here's a brief overview of how to configure them.
You don't want to have to enter your username and password everytime you want to use the iPad on the wireless network. So be sure to register it with the NOMAD system.
From your wireless device, head to http://nomad.ncsu.edu, login, and register your laptop/pda. You'll see "Add Device" on the left-hand navigation.
NOTE: You must do this FROM the laptop and you MUST be on NCSU wireless when you try to do this. There is a limit of 5 devices per person. Renewal of your registered devices is required each semester.
Go here: http://comtech.ncsu.edu/networking/NCSUVPN.mobileconfig Follow the instructions. When asked for a login name and paswd use your NCSU UnityID and password.
This will configure your iPad to use the NCSU VPN system. May be needed to access your email when offsite.
Email / Calendar
Don't forget to require a password to get onto your iPad. You'll be using this for lots of business -- if only email/calendar -- and it needs a password just like your laptop.
Goto Settings > General > Passcode Lock First be sure to turn off "Simple Passcode" -- you want a real password, not 4 digits. Now "Turn Passcode On" -- you'll be asked to enter your paswd. While tempting, don't use your UnityID password.
Consider setting the "Erase Data" option. If you do, 10 failures in a row will cause the iPad to erase all data on it. Also install and setup the "Find my iPad" app -- this will allow you to locate your device if stolen and to remotely trigger a wipe.
- Be sure to get the free version "Wyse PocketCloud RDP" -- this application will let you remote desktop to your Windows desktop in your office.
- popular way to get your news; perhaps your favorite ECE and NCSU rss feeds?
- another popular news reader.
- Angry Birds
- Don't forget to install the free version of Angry Birds.
- Read It Later
- not free, but a personal favorite for collecting website/webpages to review later.
- easiest method of sync'ing files from your computer to your iPad.
- for checking out ebooks from your local (Wake) library.