Prestaging computers from Windows 7
By default, one cannot prestage a computer object for PXEboot from a Windows 7 machine. While you can create a new computer object, it does not provide you the options for setting it as a managed object and inputting a GUID. Currently there is no official fix for the issue, but there is a workaround.
Note: Currently this only works for Windows 7 x64, as the x86 version of the files needed are not available.
- First, be sure you have the management tools installed.
- Go to Microsoft.com and download the Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 and install them.
- Open Control Panel > Programs and Features, then click on "Turn Windows features on or off".
- Expand "Remote Server Administration Tools" > "Role Administation Tools" > "AD DS and AD LDS Tools" > "AD DS Tools"
- Check "Active Directory Administrative Center" and "AD DS Snap-ins and Command-line tools".
- Click OK to install the necessary features.
- Go to \\wolftech.ad.ncsu.edu\deployment\Staging\Other Files\Windows 7 RemoteInstall DLLs
- Copy imadmui.dll to %SystemRoot%\system32
- Copy imadmui.dll.mui to %SystemRoot%\system32\en-us
- Open a command prompt as an administrator, navigate to %SystemRoot%\system32, and run the command:
- regsvr32 imadmui.dll
- You should now be able to prestage objects to PXEboot.