Active Directory/Documentation/Add Driver To RIS
- Download both the Windows 2000 and Windows XP drivers for the NIC.
- On the RIS server, copy the Windows 2000 .inf and .sys files for the network adapter to the RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\<IMAGE>\i386 folder. This allows Setup to use the driver during the text-mode portion of the installation.
- Copy the Windows XP driver files to $oem$\$1\Drivers\Nic.
- Stop and then restart the Remote Installation service (BINLSVC) on the RIS server. To do this, type the following commands at the command prompt and press ENTER after each command:
net Stop binlsvc
net Start binlsvc
Stopping and restarting the Remote Installation service is necessary because the Boot Information Negotiation Layer (BINL) needs to read all the new network adapter-related .inf files and create .pnf files in the image. This is a time-consuming task and is performed only when the Remote Installation service starts.
Note from Brian: Newer WDS servers have a different service to stop and restart, Single Instance Storage Groveler
net Stop groveler
net Start groveler
- Download the Windows XP drivers for the device.
- Copy the Windows XP driver files to $oem$\$1\Drivers\<CATEGORY>, where <CATEGORY> is the folder that best describes the device.