Active Directory/Documentation/Packaging Notes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Make sure to exclude files and registry entries that aren't a part of the software under packaging.
- Check the environment variables.
- Determine is environment variables should be set to replace.
- Set INI file properties to replace.
Upgrading Packages in Group Policy
- When upgrading a software package from another group policy, the new group policy must be ahead of the upgraded group policy in the link order (i.e. the new policy must have a higher precedence than the old policy).
- For script based actions, I usually choose Stored in custom action.
- For most actions, it makes sense to sequence them in the Install Exec Sequence after all the other actions.
- MSI Custom Actions do not support the WScript object model (see the example below).
Set WShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set WShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
- To only run action during installation, add the following condition:
- To only run action during uninstallation, add the following condition:
Installed AND REMOVE="ALL"
Converting To Cabs
- Use WiMakCab.vbs script
cscript E:\Packages\Scripts\WiMakCab.vbs /C /U /S <msi> <cab name>
File Table Attributes = 16384
cabarc -r N data.cab *
Query MSI Databse
- Use WiRunSQL.vbs
cscript E:\Packages\Scripts\WiRunSQL.vbs <msi> <sql>
- Change all INI entries to overwrite old entries.
cscript E:\Packages\Scripts\WiRunSQL.vbs <msi> "UPDATE `IniFile` SET `Action`=0 WHERE `Action`=1"