Jump to navigation Jump to search
Eric will write content.
Adding custom post types with the Magic Fields plugin
In order to add a custom post type (e.g. projects) to a Wordpress application, follow these steps:
- Install the Magic Fields Plugin. Be sure to use version 2. Magic Fields Site
- Using the plugin, create the desired post type with appropriate settings.
- For the post type, edit the post type and add custom fields as needed (for example, with a projects type you would need an abstract field, a conclusions field, and an acknowledgements field).
- Add the template for the newly-created type.
- If you are able to add files to the site, add a new template file specifically for the type. This is preferable.
- If you are not able to create new files, simply edit the template page that the type defaults to (e.g. singl-post.php) to display different content depending on the post type. This is a bit messier and is nice if it can be avoided.
- Note that the editing of these files is theme-specific, and needs to be re-done if the theme is changed. This is one of the reasons that it is preferable to create an entirely new template instead of modifying and existing one.