Active Directory/Documentation/WDS/Creating Bootable Discover CDs
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page documents the steps necessary to create a bootable WDS "discover" CD, which allows someone who cannot PXE boot the ability to use WDS by booting a the Windows PE image off of optical media.
- Open a Windows PETools command prompt window (as administrator) and the WDS management console
- In the WDS management console, select a boot image to create a discover CD from
- Right-click that boot image and select "Create discover boot image"
- Give the wizard a file name and deployment server to use
- The wizard will export the boot image, which may take a few minutes
- Using the PETools window, create a temporary Windows PE build environment by typing "copype <arch> c:\winpe" (<arch> is the architecture to use; generally "x86")
- Move the exported discover image to the newly-created WinPE environment. The file name should end up being c:\winpe\ISO\Sources\boot.wim
- Type "oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe\iso\boot\etfsboot.com c:\winpe\iso c:\winpe.iso" - this will result in an iso image
- Burn the iso image to a CD (or DVD)
- [optional] Delete the c:\winpe build environment
- [optional] Delete the c:\winpe.iso CD image