Active Directory/Join Us
You don't want to be dealing with the basics of setting up and adminstrating your computer network -- you want to be focusing on your department or college's specific, and specialized needs. Take the opportunity to take a lot of the basic support infrastructure out of your worries.
WolfTech Domain Overview
- Departments have their own OU with delegation of control
- Accounts created and managed by an automated feed from campus LDAP.
- Passwords are synchronized with the Campus Password change page (http://www.ncsu.edu/password/)
- AD hosted by 3 DCs running Windows 2003, distributed to meet campus disastery recovery policies.
- Only campus domain to pass the NCSU Active Directory IT Audit review.
- Utilizes the campus DNS servers (running on Unix) -- seemlessly ties into campus usage of QIP
- Provide "help desk" type support to help with simple AD related issues (such as unlocking accounts, help with GPO, creating new OU for a new dept.)
- All ongoing care and feed of the AD (backup, domain check, security updates, etc) provided.
Solve Your Windows Issues
- the ability to implement group policy to force machines to use a WSUS server for updates
- antivirus installation and updating
- pushing out software such as Microsoft Office to the desktop
- password consolidation
- enforced password complexity
- optional local administrator password randomization and control
- ability to redirect folders (My Documents) to network storage for a department and do regular backups
- use Remote Assistance to effectively assist distributed users regardless of location
- easier printer access - printers can be listed in the directory, giving users "point and click" installations
- easier file sharing between computers
- remotely push "gpupdate" / "reboot" / "shutdown" commands to your computers
- print to WolfCopy controlled printers
- all the other cool kids are doing it -- you know you want to...
- student accts
- class groups
- webinterfaces (coming soon)
- SAV server
- WSUS server (automated patching)
- printer reports (in planning)
- inventory / software management
- integration with MBDv3 inventory software
- tested and production integration with campus storage management system
In the Works... / Wishlist
- Linux integration
- Macintosh integration
- Wake On LAN support